Tuesday, July 1, 2014

It Might Be You - Stephen Bishop

Some of you may recognize this as the theme song from the movie "Tootsie" In the movie Dustin Hoffman's character stumbles into the girl he realizes is the woman of his dreams.  When the song starts to play the movie is doing one of those reflective moments where you see Hoffman falling in love with her.  Very touching.  GREAT MOVIE.

There are 4 sections of the song that we need to look at.  1 and 2 we will take by themselves.  3 and 4 we need to combine because they are the same thought continued.
** Verse 1 **
Time, I've been passing, time watching trains go by all of my life
Lying on the sand, watching seabirds fly
Wishing there would be someone waiting home for me

How many days turned into months into years did we spend alone and wishing we had someone special to share our very short life with?  It is fitting that the scenario is a beach setting because so many dating profiles have the cliche "take long walks on the beach" in them.  So it is cute that this amazing song has this poor sad person taking a lonely walk on the beach wishing they could be holding someone's hand. 

** Verse 2 **
Looking back as lovers go walking past all of my life
Wondering how they met and what makes it last
If I found the place, would I recognize the face?

Here is what I get out of this.  You look around and see people in love.  You want to know what they did to find them so you can try it yourself.  BUT how many of us meet the wrong person there because we are so eager to settle just to have someone, if even for a fleeting moment?  And then the right one comes along and we are oblivious to them because we are busy being distracted with temporary "love".  Remember Alex in "Fools Rush In?"  When he says to Isabel "This is morning I was worried I'd met the girl of my dreams at the drycleaners and not recognized her. But you- You are what I never knew I always wanted. "  Keep your heart ready and your eyes open.  Don't miss your moment.

** Verse 3 and 4 **
So many quiet walks to take
So many dreams to wake
And we've so much love to make
Oh, I think we've gonna need some time
Maybe all we need is time
And it's telling me it might be you all of my life
I've been saving love songs and lullabies
And there's so much more no one's ever heard before
Something's telling me it might be you
Yeah, it's telling me it must be you
And I'm feeling it'll just be you all of my life

When you find that one your heart had begged you to search for...cherish it.  Don't take things for granted.  Don't miss chances to really share your lives with each other.  Take walks in the cool evening and hold hands.  Talk about everything and anything.  Share ideas and thoughts and fears and dreams and frustrations.  Don't hold back.  Put effort into your love life.  Be sure you put a high priority on making love.  It should not just be sex.  If should be the re-enforcement of your emotion connection.  Sing to each other.  Share your secrets and dreams.  If you can't share your secrets and dreams...pray and ask God to help you tear down that ugly wall that keeps you from letting them in. 

HEARTWORK:  Google the song and watch the video.  pay attention to how he looks at her.  Do you look at your love this way? Are you doing the things that build and strengthen your emotional connection?  Are you wasting time with someone?  Or have you found the one that deserves you and you want to give your heart and soul to? Make your own list of things to do with each other and start doing them.  Walk.  Get up extra early and make love before the sun comes up then have coffee together in the quiet of the morning.  Whatever works, but start your list!

Any thoughts?  email me:  brainstorminglife@yahoo.com